Use the Tasmanian Name Index to search records from the following sources:
- Convict permissions to marry (1829-1857). Convicts applying to marry free people or other convicts.
- Convicts (1803-1893). Convicts transported to Tasmania and those convicted locally through the convict system.
- Departures (1817-1867). People leaving Tasmanian ports, mainly Launceston.
- Divorces (1861-1920). Petitions for divorce in the Tasmanian Supreme Court.
- Inquests (1828-1930). Inquests into people’s deaths.
- Marriages (1803-1899). People who married in Tasmania.
- Arrivals (19th Century). Passengers and ships arriving, mainly in Hobart. Contains surnames A-K, L-Z to be added.
- Births (1803-1933). People born in Tasmania including some baptisms collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 baptisms only).
- Census (1837-1857). Householders in the 1840s and 1850s, not complete for all districts.
- Deaths (1803-1933). People who died in Tasmania including some burial records collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 burials only).
- Health & Welfare (1830-1873). Patients and attendants at the New Norfolk Colonial Hospital and applications to the Queens Orphan School.
- Hotels & Properties (1818-1958). Hotel licensees, inquests into fires, Launceston buildings and demolished hotels.
- Miscellaneous (1838-1873). General correspondence of the Comptroller general of convicts and North Fleet shipwreck survivors.
- Naturalisations (1835-1905). People applying to become citizens.
- Prisoners (1895-1902). Prisoners in the Hobart gaol.
- Wills (1824-1989). Wills and letters of administration of estates registered for probate.
- WW1 Photographs (1914-1919). Photographs and articles from the Tasmanian Mail and Weekly Courier illustrated newspaper. *
* Data indexed by Wendy Knolle and kindly supplied by the Tasmanian Family History Society, Hobart Branch
If you find something that needs correction let us know at email@example.com
Copies of records that are not digitised can be obtained by completing our online copy request form